Baptist Health Foundation of San Antonio (BHFSA) distributes grants annually to organizations which provide healthcare services and funds health education throughout Bexar County and contiguous counties in South Texas.
In order to support health education which trains tomorrow’s healthcare providers and leaders, BHFSA provides educational opportunities through the granting of scholarships to qualified students.
The purpose of providing scholarship grants is to make funding available to eligible students who reside in the service area and are attending local universities, colleges, and schools for approved academic areas.
Although its highest priority in the granting of scholarships is in the nursing area, BHFSA does consider funding to a number of related academic areas which indirectly connect to the core purpose of the scholarship program. The scholarship grants provide assistance to Associate, Bachelor, Certificate, and Post-baccalaureate students obtaining education in an academic area which prepares students to work in health and health related occupations. Academic areas may include, but are not limited to, the following:
(Physical, Occupational, and Respiratory)
Scholarship Grants Funding Requirements:
- Unsolicited – agreements are with partner institutions of higher education;
- Underwrites the tuition, books, and fees of a full time student (as determined by the institution);
- Awarded to a student who is enrolled in one of the partner institutions and is majoring in one of the approved academic programs;
- BHFSA service area includes the following counties: Atascosa, Bandera, Bexar, Comal, Guadalupe, Kendall, Medina and Wilson;
- Student’s intent, following graduation from a partner institution, is to remain and seek employment in BHFSA’s service area;
- Students shall be permanent residents of BHFSA’s service area;
- Need based awards are defined as meeting the institution’s minimum GPA requirement to receive a scholarship as well as demonstrated financial need;
- For students enrolled in academic programs at the Bachelor’s degree and below, scholarships shall first be awarded to students who have graduated from one of the following area school districts: Edgewood, Harlandale, San Antonio, South San Antonio, Southside, and Southwest. After BHFSA funds have been awarded to the above eligible students, any remaining BHFSA funds shall be awarded to students who have graduated from all other school districts in the BHFSA service area. Scholarships for all of the above listed students are awarded on the basis of need only;
- For students enrolled in Post-baccalaureate programs, scholarships shall be awarded to students on the basis of need and merit; and
- Merit based awards are defined as meeting the institution’s requirement for excellent academic standing.
- Students who received the scholarship in the previous year are eligible for renewal as long as they still meet all of the original requirements by the institution and BHFSA. The decision for renewal is approved by the institution;
- Each student receiving a BHFSA scholarship will write a thank you letter to BHFSA;
- Institution will provide a detailed report on the scholarship grant following the semester to capture information on students served through the scholarship program and their retention into the community; and
- With all practicality considered, institutions shall host in March or April of a given year an opportunity for Foundation representatives to meet the Foundation’s scholarship recipients.