Baptist Health Foundation of San Antonio distributes grants annually to not-for-profit organizations which provide healthcare services and funds health education throughout Bexar County and contiguous counties in South Texas.
In order to support health education which trains tomorrow’s healthcare providers and leaders, BHFSA provides educational opportunities through the granting of scholarships to qualified students.
The purpose of providing scholarship grants is to make funding available to eligible students who reside in the service area and are attending local universities, colleges, and schools for approved academic areas.
Although its highest priority in the granting of scholarships is in the nursing area, BHFSA does consider funding to a number of related academic areas which indirectly connect to the core purpose of the scholarship program. The scholarship grants provide tuition assistance to undergraduate, post graduate, and doctoral students obtaining education in an academic area which prepares students to work in health and health related occupations. Academic areas may include, but are not limited to, the following:
(Physical, Occupational, and Respiratory)
Scholarship Grants Funding Requirements:
- Unsolicited – agreements are with partner institutions of higher education
- Underwrites the tuition and fees of a full time student (as determined by the institution)
- Awarded to a student who is enrolled in one of the partner institutions and is majoring in one of the approved academic programs
- Awarded to a student whose permanent residence is in the eight county service area and whose desire, following graduation, is to remain and seek employment in the foundation’s eight county service area
- Merit and need based – Meets institution’s requirement for GPA for good academic standing as well as demonstrated financial need
- Students who received the scholarship in the previous year are eligible for renewal as long as they still meet all of the original requirements by the institution and the foundation. The decision for renewal is approved by the institution.
- Each student will write a thank you letter to the foundation
- Institution will provide a detailed report on the scholarship grant following the semester (recipients, scholarship amounts, and academic program)